The Collection Unit phone number is (805) 639-5010. We are available by phone Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 7:00pm, and Saturdays from 8:00am to 4:30pm, except on holidays.

If you are unable to pay your balance in full, please contact us to determine if your case is eligible for a payment arrangement. Failure to resolve your traffic/minor offense ticket by the due date may result in a $300 civil assessment penalty being added to the original bail, or issuance of a warrant for your arrest and/or suspension of your driver license. Failure to resolve your delinquent account with us by setting up a payment arrangement, you may be subject to wage garnishments and bank levies through the Franchise Tax Board Court Ordered Debt Collection Program and referral to the Franchise Tax Board Tax Intercept Program.

Why Did My Case Go to the Collection Unit?

Cases are assigned to the Collection Unit if you appeared in court and were ordered to make monthly payments or if you failed to pay a traffic ticket by the date listed on the original signed ticket.

Why have I received correspondence or a call regarding my Tulare County Superior Court case from Ventura Superior Court Collection Unit?

The Ventura Superior Court Collection Unit is assisting Tulare County Superior Court with collection efforts and will be reaching out to defendants that have been assigned to us regarding their delinquent cases.

How Can I Pay?

You may pay by cash, check, cashier’s check, money order or by credit card. Payments can be made in person, by mail or by phone.

To Pay In Person

Payments can be made at following Court locations.


Government Center, Hall of Justice
800 South Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA 93009

The Collection Department at the Ventura Courthouse in room 205 is open from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.

The Walk-Up Express Payment Window is open for payments until 6:45 PM Monday through Friday and from 8:00 AM until 4:45 PM on Saturdays.

Simi Valley:

East County Courthouse, South Side
3855-F Alamo Street, Simi Valley, CA 93063

The Walk-up Express Payment Window is open for payments Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM until 4:45 PM, and on Saturdays from 8:00 AM until 4:15 PM.


Juvenile Courthouse – Room 122
4353 E. Vineyard Ave., Oxnard, CA 93036

Payments can be made at the Juvenile Courthouse from 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.

To Pay By Mail

Payments can be mailed to the Superior Court Collection Unit at the following address:

Superior Court of California, County of Ventura
Collection Unit, Room 205
P. O. Box 6489
Ventura, CA 93006-6489

Make your check or money order payable to SCCU. Please include your case number on the check or money order. Please do not mail cash.

To Pay By Phone

To process an ACH payment (check by phone) you can call us at (805) 639-5010 and speak with a Collection Officer to make your payment.

You may also use the Courts 24-hour credit card payment system by calling toll free (888) 422-6906. Your credit card will be charged a convenience fee from the vendor for the use of this service.

Types of Cases Handled by the Collection Unit
  • Civil Assessment (failure to appear)
  • Conservatorship
  • Criminal
  • Diversion
  • Driving under the influence (DUI)
  • Guardianship
  • IBF (payment arrangements on a traffic ticket)
  • Juvenile care costs
  • Probate
  • Sanctions
  • Victim restitution
Financial Hardship and Inability to Pay (Traffic Citations Only)

If you have a financial hardship that prevents you from paying for your household's basic needs and the full amount of your traffic ticket, you may ask the Court to consider your ability to pay. If you qualify, the Court may reduce the amount you owe. Below are the ways in which you may request an ability to pay determination:

1. Make a request online with the Ability to Pay tool found here.

2. File or mail a written request to the Court. Click here for form VN-ATP.


For frequently asked questions about collections, please visit our FAQs page.

© 2015 Superior Court of Ventura County